There are many students who come to Australia for a better job and study options and hence the requirement for setting up arises. Among all the others there is one that cannot be done away with and that is a mobile phone and a data plan. This is the first and foremost thing that any new person searches anywhere and hence is practically very important.
Here are some useful tips that you must always keep in mind while looking for mobile phones and data plans:
- Always explore your options and chose the plan that suits you. There are also options of getting a plan custom made for you or in simple words, you can tailor that plan to some extent as per your needs.
- Do not be intimidated by the seller for some plan. Make an informed and free choice.
- It is advisable to go for a written contract where all the terms and conditions are well stated and all the payments are also as per your requirement.
- Check the T&C of the contract or agreement before signing it. Also, keep a copy of the same with yourself.
- Before making a purchase, also look for how the network is working in the areas where you are going to live and study. That is to say where you will spend most of your time.
- There are many scams that are brought to notice time and again. These include charged services against you will like ringtones, offers. Do take notice of this and always report if such a thing happens. Do not ignore this.
- In case you lose your phone, you must report it. It should be done for both the handset as well as the sim card such that if any illegal activities are conducted because of this you are not held responsible.
- Keep a track of your data usage as to how much you use and does it match with what the company or the service provider is charging you for.
- Always keep important and emergency contacts in your cell as well as in a notebook which you can keep handy and with you all the time.
You may also wish to go for a prepaid service. Here are some points around which you can make a choice:
- The current call rates.
- Does it come with an expiry date?
- Do you get the facility of full talk time?
- Do you have to pay a connection fee in addition to the per minute charges?
If in case you face any issues with the handset or data plan. You should contact the seller first of all and get it resolved. If this doesn’t solve the problem or there is any dispute with the seller, The Telecommunications Industry Ombudsman (TIO) can be contacted for assistance. You may choose to call on this number: 1800 062 058. You may visit this link for more information: www.tio.com.au